Sunday, October 23, 2022

Habits and Routines


Habits or Routines?

 I remember always hearing it takes 28 days to form a habit.  I suppose it's the same for a routine.  What is the difference between the two?

Okay, from what I gather, a habit is a single action and a routine is a set of habits strung together. Habits are supposedly automatic.  Routines are not automatic. 

With that definition set up, it's clear that I'm actually not good with good habits and terrible with routines.  I mean I've got not exercising down to an art.  I drink too much coffee.  I don't choose water over other drinks.  I do enjoy driving through Popeyes for chicken strips.  So I do have habits...but most of them ain't good ones.  


I have routines but they are mostly forced.  I have to get up and get the kids off to school.  I have to cook dinner for us in the evenings.  I go to my volunteer jobs (forced because I signed up to do so).  

I know that most of the time we try to begin new good habits at the beginning of the year, calling them New Year's Resolutions.  We declare, "I resolve to XXXX" whatever that new habit will be.  I've done that and never follow through.  I've used Lent as a time to give up something, such as soda or chocolate, and was successful for that limited time. 

I don't think I want to make resolutions anymore because the feeling of failure is not one I want to keep torturing myself with.  


I want to nurture myself instead of always putting myself down.  I've neglected myself while trying to mother everyone else.  So I want to try to form some good habits that result in some good routines. 

I've got to start small and build up.  

I'm going to drink the proper amount of water for myself every day for the next 28 days.  What is that amount?  According to the Mayo Clinic, women should have 2.7 liters a day.  I live in Okinawa where it is hot and humid and I sweat a good bit so I'm going to round up to 3 liters.  Now it says you can count your coffee and other foods and beverages.  So I'm going to aim for 2 liters daily of just water.

I will report back on November 20 with my progress. 



No comments:

Post a Comment